Finally, the mail delivery truck is here. You've been waiting for this package for weeks. As a subscriber to the official SEGA Fan Magazine, you were automatically entered into a sweepstakes for the game of your dreams. Miraculously, you won! You've been closely following the development of this game for the last 3 years, it's everything you hoped for. Amazing graphics, unbelievable music, and truly groundbreaking gameplay! You won a one-of-a-kind copy of the game, and you get to play it a full week before it hits store shelves. You tear into the packaging, rip out the cartridge, slam it into your SEGA and brace for impact... this is YM2020!
I'm happy to announce the call for submissions for YM2020. This is the highly anticipated sequel to YM2017, a brand new compilation album on cartridge for the Sega Genesis and Megadrive.
YM2017 was very successful and we learned a lot doing it! We're going even bigger and better than ever before. The only thing we don't have yet is YOUR music!
A few ground rules:
- All submissions must be original compositions, no adaptations or samples from copyrighted works.
- Submissions should be unreleased. You will retain all rights to your own music to release in whatever medium you wish, we just ask that you don't release it until after the album is released.
- Submissions should be in a VGM file playable on Sega hardware.
- Please keep use of samples to a minimum. The goal is to highlight the unique sound of the YM2612 and SN76489 sound chips, not simply streaming pre-recorded music through a Sega.
- You can submit multiple entries but only one song per artist will be included.
- Submission deadline is November 30, 2020.
The theme for the compo is the paragraph above. You should compose the theme song for the Sega game of your fantasy! You have complete reign over the genre of game, style of music, and other aspects of a theme song. If accepted, you'll work with our team to create a title screen for your song, based on your direction and feedback.
Songs will be judged by a blind panel based on overall composition and how well it fits the theme.
If your submission is accepted, you will be compensated with cash and a limited edition copy of the cartridge available only to musicians and the YM2020 team.
Email submissions to email@example.com with the subject line "YM2020 submission". Please attach the VGM and a rendered recording of your track (MP3 preferred). You can also email with any clarifications or additional questions.
A special invitation is extended to unknown and/or under-represented artists!